Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Ticked Off Tuesday: Internet Stalking

I have actually avoided writing here because of this creepy epidemic.  I hate putting myself out there only to get more than my fair share of dumb, placating, and ignorant comments and wall posts.  Yes, I check in to Foursquare and usually post what I'm doing on Facebook, but that doesn't mean that I want to hear some weird, inane thing that my post reminded you about.  I've tried ignoring the folks that do this to me, I've tried sarcasm and rude, but now I'm getting to the point that I want to change my phone number (which I've had for almost 4 years), change my email address (that I've had for 7), and delete them and block them on FB.  It's too much.  Yes, I love 85% of the people on my friends list (a lot are comedians or Biggest Loser contestants that don't have fan pages), but ...damn.  I am trying to find the words to accurately describe how just a few people make me want to just delete FB, and not have contact with the other people that mean the world to me.  Is there a nice way to tell people that clicking on notifications fills me with a sense of dread?  That I don't want to post pictures or what I'm doing or how I'm doing because I'm just irritated.  Maybe it's hormones, but I really hate being That Bitch and blaming hormones when it's actually pissed me off since before I was pregnant.

Old me would just say "fu*k it" and delete the offenders, block them and not look back, but in my "old" age, I have been trying to see things from other people's points of view and it's easier said than done.  I'm frustrated, and I feel completely helpless, like my social networking has taken on a life of its own.  I'm irritated because I'm so incredibly non confrontational, but I feel like I have to defend myself.  I have less and less time as of late to weed through stupid stuff, and I feel like I'm finally at a breaking point.

Has this happened to anyone else?  Are there people on your social networking friends lists that make you want to scream?  Be honest if it's me; I'd hate to think I am inflicting this kind of irritation and frustration on you!

2 comments:

  1. It's easy enough just to set up your settings to where they can't see your posts or if they really rub you the wrong way, delete and block. Out of sight, out of mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to, but it got weird. Oh, well. I'll live. =P

    ReplyDelete