Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Squishy Pondering Face

I think Dante is hitting a "difficult" stage.  I hate saying it, since it might tempt the Universe, but he's been quite testy lately.  Monday night, I had 4 mini donuts, and I was kind enough to give him one.  When I wouldn't hand over another, he threw himself on the ground and had a Hissy to end all Hissies.  I flat out refused, and he was grumpy for at least another ten minutes.

Today, (er, Tuesday), we went to see my best friend.  He got angry if I locked him out of the kitchen, and threw a couple more tantrums that made me wonder what's going on in his head!  I have been trying for awhile to not give in to his every whim, yet still show him that he's my Universe.  Earlier tonight (or last night, since I haven't slept yet and you probably have) he threw himself on the ground and cried for FIFTEEN minutes because I gave him milk instead of juice.  Seriously.  Then, once he was thirsty, guess what he drank?  You guessed it - his milk.  

I am not quite sure what is going on in his melon or how to address it.  It's very weird for him, yet common according to what I've been reading.  I can't just give him whatever he wants!  The last thing I  (or the rest of the world, for that matter) need(s) is a kid who thinks he's entitled to whatever he wants, whenever he wants.  The world doesn't work like that.  But his cries and pleas are so gut-wrenching, I'd hate if he pulls that in public, for one.  It physically pains me to have him behave like this.

Usually when he gets upset in public, it's because I get a good grip on his hand and wrist when we walk through a crowded parking lot and he wants to run free.  If people are around, I joke that I'm a big meanie for wanting to make sure he doesn't get flattened by a Colorado driver.  And most people who see and hear it smile and that's the end of it.  But what do I do if he's in the cart at Target and he wants every Elmo item he sees?  He'll throw his sippy cup, or take off his shoes and throw them, and I'm left feeling (and looking) like the bad guy.

Oh, well.  In other "news," this hiatal hernia is getting worse, thanks to there being less room for Little Miss to stretch out.  Who needs breath mints when the Drug Gods invented Tums?  Bending over is now more of a serious issue since every time I do, it feels like she's trying to escape via belly button.  Which stinks since the veggie drawer is on the bottom of the fridge.  And that's where I have been hiding the broccoli, the grapes and the green chile - my three main vices.  Sigh.

On a brighter note, I am very much looking forward to my baby shower this Saturday.  I can't wait to see some of my favorite people!  That in and of itself is the best part!  I'm pretty lucky in the friend department!  I've got some great people on my team, and that means more to me than anything else.  I may not have money, but I am rich in the friend department, and that is much more rewarding.

Considering it's about 430am, I think I need to at least TRY to sleep.  Especially since our fantastic maintenance guy, Hector, was able to fix our AC.  That man deserves Sainthood when you take into account not only his handyman and cleaning skills, but the amount of crap he puts up with and never complains.  I've seen what some of the idiots in this building have done to it, and he just shakes his head, figures out what needs to be done, and does it.  I wish there were more people like him in the world.

Anyways, good night!  Or good morning.  You know who you are. ;)

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to the "terrible twos". He is testing his limits. He will not only do it with you but with everyone. He wants his independance but wants it with cuddles.

    I wish I could say it will get better soon but it is likely it will get much worse before it gets better. Breathe deeply when you can and choose your battles. Distract as much as you can when you can and sometimes a good fit will do him some good.

    As for the public, f 'em. They are not raising your child. He will quickly learn that he can get exactly what he wants in public because you don't want him to do that. I have left many a sippy cup hanging out on the floor in the isles of Target because the kids decided they wanted to throw it.

    You are a great mom. This is when becoming a mom is hard. Stick to your guns, breathe and establish what your standards, limits and discipline methods are. Good luck mamas.

    ReplyDelete