Friday, August 26, 2011

When Did THAT happen?

Who?  How?  When?  What happened?  My little girl is a month old today!  So, to celebrate, here is a letter just for her!  (That you get to read!)

Dearest Scarlett,

You are a blessing.  No doubt about it, darling.  You have lit up one of the darkest periods of my entire life, and I am a better person for being your mom.  I am still amazed by your gorgeous blue eyes.  Chris had gorgeous blue eyes, and I hope yours stay blue, so I see my best friend every time I look at you.  You have been eating up a storm, and getting longer by the day.  For some odd reason, as much as you eat, you don't get bigger around the middle; it's just making you longer and your precious second chin is looking quite plump.  I can't help but "nibble" on your chins and it looks like you have been smiling in your sleep.  I can't wait to see you smile while you're awake.  I'm sure it will melt every heart that sees it, not just mine.

It seems that we both sleep better when you sleep on my chest, and I love it.  It partially scares the bejeezus out of me, thanks to all the anecdotal stories of babies passing that way, but it feels like I have about ten pounds of sheer joy keeping me going when it happens.

I can't tell a lie:  I love getting you dressed.  I love putting you in cute, frilly outfits.  I haven't really done your hair, and I must admit it's because you tend to get headbands wrapped around your neck, and barrettes make your hair look downright ridiculous.  Your hair sticks straight up no matter what I do, so I just sit back and giggle at my punk rock princess.

Your big brother is still getting used to you.  But I know he loves you with all of his tiny little heart.  A couple nights ago, he accidentally stepped on your foot, and he had to kiss it to make it better.  He loves helping to feed you, but doesn't quite understand that taking the bottle out of your mouth when you are mid meal is mean.  I have been trying to get him to just hold the bottle and make sure you're getting your lunch, but he's a bit spacy.  No one's fault; he's just 2, that's all.

I love and adore you.  I am so incredibly happy to have you in my life!  Thank you for being.

Love,
Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment